Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Praying for the Men

The other night Mike was sharing with me some thoughts from a meeting about the upcoming sermon series here at Trinity. Some pretty cool stuff is in store. The title of the series is "Unself" dealing with, well,... getting over and out of self.

I've had a couple of opportunities to offer thoughts and opinions and last night the Lord connected some dots for me to further this concept. There have been so many dots! Conversations, blogs, bible study, prayer and texts that have pointed to this same idea giving myself away : Unselfing (Have I ever mentioned I love making up words?)

It began with the gentle conviction and now a confession that I do not pray for my man in the same way that I pray for myself. I was reminded of a book that I used years ago to pray for Mike and am prompted to use again. Then I had the thought that I might not be the only one who could use some encouragement and direction in praying for my man. So here I am at what I hope will be a regular post on my blog. If you are not married, don't feel left out. There are men all around you who need prayer. Maybe you could consider praying for your dad, son, brother or boss just to give a few ideas. The point is to be giving your self away.

The format of this book I'm going to use as a guide is to take a topic and personalize scripture into a prayer. Hebrews tells us that the word of God is alive and active. James says that the prayer of a righteous (wo)man has great power. I'm not sure there is a better way to pray than to pray the Scriptures. Would anyone care to unself with me and pray for our men?

Lord God, I pray your words to You as my way to ask You to love my husband in a very special way. Help him Lord to experience Your love through your word and other ways as well. God in accordance with your Word...

I pray that my husband loves You, God, because You first loved him. (1 John 4:19)

I pray that my husband remembers that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate him from the love of You, God, which is in Christ Jesus his Lord. (Romans 8:38-39)

I pray that my husband knows that You, God, have loved him with an everlasting love, and with loving kindness You have drawn him. (Jeremiah 31:3)

I pray that my husband realizes that You, God, rejoice over him with gladness. That You will quiet him with your love and that you rejoice over him with singing. (Zephaniah 3:17)

Thank you Father, In Jesus' name, Amen

1 comment:

Beeg said...

I want to join you.
Beeg

Leelou Blogs
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture