Monday, September 21, 2009

My Man


Sept 21 is a very special day to me and I'll tell you why. 18 years ago today (golly that's a long time!) Mike kissed me for the first time and we began dating. The rest, as they say, is history. We celebrated out 13 year wedding anniversary last month but I didn't make the time to tell you about my man. And I really want you to know a little bit about the guy I have the privileged of spending the rest of my life with.

If you have never had the honor or meeting Mike, the first thing you notice about him (besides his devilishly hansom good looks) is that he looks you straight in the eye. His eyes tell you that he is listening. This is because he is honestly interested in you. He has an authentic and attractive love for people that God has given him. He genuinely wants to get to know you and hear your story. He is someone who has really practiced the difficult art of listening. (And real listening is difficult!)

The second thing you notice about Mike is his sense of humor. He loves to laugh has the most remarkable ability to make you crack up and feel relaxed. This is one of my most favorite qualities in him. It's not the "you should sell tickets and take this on the road" kind of comedy. It's more like "we've known each other forever and we're cool like that" kind of wittiness. He's great at finding the silly things that remind me to not take life so seriously. I love that!

I can't get to far down the list without telling you that he is a superior musician. And musician hardly feels like the right word. Mike has not only taught himself the piano, guitar, and saxophone, (and is teaching himself the harmonica), but he reads written music, charts and he can play along without any music on paper at all. He knows all the theory and mechanics about music that enable him to transpose and teach, and basically make it work with whoever is involved. But really, all those things can be taught. Mike has more than can be taught. He is what I call a psalmist. I compare him to David. Do you remember the

story where Saul is stressed out and David comes and plays for him and Saul is finally able to find rest? That is how I would describe Mike's music. When he picks up an instrument, it becomes a tool in his hands that brings worship from his soul like deep calling to deep.
I haven't even mentioned his voice yet. I'm not a good enough writer to do him justice, so here is one of my favorite songs he has written. (Yes, he writes music too)


Pretty fabulous huh?

I could really go on and on but I'll sum the rest by telling you that while he is in no way perfect, he is perfect for me. Such a gift Jesus has given me in this amazing man! He is a marvelous husband, a phenomenal father, my best friend, my soul mate, my muse, my confidante, my partner, my lover, my cheerleader and number one fan, my playmate, my helper, my favorite person, and most importantly, the hands and feet of Jesus to me.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I am so blessed and honored to be his bride.

I love you baby!


No comments:

Leelou Blogs
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture