Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Roots Community

I haven't shared too much about Roots/church planting.  I am going to change that.  There are a couple of reasons I've been quiet.  The first is, like so many other hats I wear in my life, I have no idea what I'm doing.  Second, I am all too comfortable hiding in the "I'm his wife" and "I'm their mom"  hats.  And yes, I do mean hiding.

Saturday night however, the Lord allowed my eyes to really open to the fact that while I am 'his wife' and 'their mom', those are not my only roles, and possibly not even my most important ( I am still wrestling this out).  Who I am first and foremost is a child of God and an ambassador for the King.   And right now that means helping to plant this church in Davenport.  

Easter Sunday is our official launch to the public.  We have not been able to secure a building so we are committing to 4 more services as a home church with hopes to be in a building after that (as I understand it).  I really am excited about this. I believe in the vision that Jessie has and I think possibly just this weekend I have finally taken it as my own.

Here is part of an email he encouraged us with this weekend:
I wanted to steer our group's focus this week as we get ready to Launch on Easter Sunday.  

Let me just remind us what this is all about:  In Jeremiah 17:5-8 it says, 

5  This is what the LORD says:
       "Cursed is the one who trusts in man,
       who depends on flesh for his strength
       and whose heart turns away from the LORD.

 6 He will be like a bush in the wastelands;
       he will not see prosperity when it comes.
       He will dwell in the parched places of the desert,
       in a salt land where no one lives.

 7 "
But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD,
       whose confidence is in him
.

 8 
He will be like a tree planted by the water
       that sends out its 
roots by the stream.
       It does not fear when heat comes;
       its leaves are always green.
       It has no worries in a year of drought
       and never fails to bear fruit." 

Our Vision at The Roots Community is to join God in His mission as He seeks to Restore all things back to himself.  Just as Jesus moved into our world and pursued us with love we also move into the lives of those around us and add value to them as we seek to show them love. Our ultimate aim is to see all people put their confidence in God and a community of Christ followers loving one another as we seek to build for the kingdom of God.  
May this vision be burned into our souls daily as we seek to see with the same eyes as God.
I am excited to see all the great things that God has in store for this community and I am amazed to be able to be part of this team. 

No comments:

Leelou Blogs
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture