Monday, April 6, 2009

Planting the gospel

Planting a church is what Mike and I have been working toward in the Davenport/Haines City area for the last eight months or so.  One of the phrases that has caught my attention lately, and for some God ordained reason explicitly Sat night, is 'while yes we are planting a church, really we are planing the gospel'.  

What does that mean? What does it look like?  Are we playing semantics here? 

For me initially, it meant we were going to 'do church' with a better, more hip, really loving and NOT condemning display of the message of Jesus.  And then I realized that my perception was still 'doing church'.  

I feel like over the last couple of weeks the Lord has been really showing me something that I've known in my head for sometime, but evidently haven't made it to my actions yet. It's not about doing church, it's about being the the church. 

Let me say that again, It's not about doing church, it's about being the the church. 

The passage of scripture that comes to mind about being the church comes from Romans chapter 10 and it says this:
How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"
It is my job to be the feet and bring the good news.  And I have to be intentional about it. Deliberate and purposeful. No hiding in the fact that I am the music guy's wife or that I'm all wrapped up in homeschool and my kids. No, the great commission didn't give exceptions.  It just said go.  In my normal traffic patterns of life, in and out of my neighborhood it is my beautiful and amazing privilege to share with people that Jesus wants to hang out with them! (And what an amazing week this is to share!)

So, for my first intentional move I have a question for you; Do you know that Jesus wants to hang out with you, like right now,...daily,...hourly,...all the time?  And if you do know that, how is it changing your day? 

It is good news isn't it?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just one correction - You're the music guy's "hot wife." Incarnational, evangelistic, intentional, blah, blah, etc, etc...

:)

Leelou Blogs
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture