Monday, November 14, 2011

I've been thinking...

My amazingly fabulous hubby has been encouraging me to blog more consistently.  I do want to, I just get so hung up on trying to really be as perfect as I can than that more often then not, I end up not writing at all. So I'm going to try to be more faithful in posting even if I don't always have some cool insight and a great way to tie it all up. After all writers write don't they?  And getting better requires practice, so here we go.

Last week Jesus clearly spoke to me a fresh understanding of sin: taking my eyes off him. I've been thinking about that a lot. As I've been considering it, Galatians 1:10 has come to mind repeatedly. It says this:
Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ. 
I made the connection that guess what; I am a human being. I am people. (Thank you Captain Obvious for THAT public service announcement!) Yes, some days, I am just that slow. Haha

The picture I'm trying to paint is that it's not just a problem when I'm worried about what others think. Because wrapped up in that is a root of self. I want to be liked. I wanted to be approved. I want to be accepted and esteemed. So that means the truth is while I am trying to please others it is for completely selfish motives. I'm not sure I have connected before just exactly how linked these two thoughts are.

Then this morning I read Romans 6:16 which says this:
you are slaves to the one whom you obey, either of sin (remember, taking my eyes of Jesus), which leads to death, or of obedience which leads to righteousness. 
Slaves to whom we obey. There is so much to unpack in those five words, but the idea for me this morning is very simple. Am I obeying me, or am I obeying Jesus?

Not exactly a new concept, I know. But definitely a new layer of insight into my heart has been pulled back and revealed. Don't you just love how God's word really is alive and active, sharp and piercing, discerning the thoughts and intentions of our hearts? And it's in the hands of a skillful and attentive, accurate and gracious, faithfully patient God. Sigh. I love him so.

Your turn now. (Grin) What's God speaking to your heart lately? Any "aha" moments to share?

No comments:

Leelou Blogs
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture