Thursday, July 8, 2010

Assuming the Worst

I had a chance last week to sit and chat with Dave, the pastor here at Trinity and in passing he made a comment that I keep replaying in my mind. We were discussing being intimidated and where that might come from, and in making generalities he said:
You might be intimidated if you are assuming the worst about me.
That locked in on me big time. Not because I tend to assume the worst about him or other people in general, even though I do struggle with that at times, but because I am really quick to assume the worst about myself. Oh, how long will I wrestle with you Insecurity!?

In my bible study last week we looked at a text in Matthew. In the setting of the text, the disciples are gathering wheat for themselves on the Sabbath. The Pharisees are very upset by this and rebuke Jesus for allowing it to go on. Jesus responds to them in saying "If you only knew that I desire mercy, then you would have not condemned the innocent."

The writer of the bible study then brought out how passionately Jesus defended His disciples, calling them innocent, and was very protective of their vulnerability. The author furthermore explained how we are all like this and yet in Christ, have been justified. This is where the dots connected for me about what is happening when I assume the worst.

Each time I assume the worst about me I am condemning who Christ has declared innocent.

Each time I assume the worst about others I am condemning who Christ has declared innocent.

If in Christ, He has called me not guilty, who am I to say otherwise? Jesus was also very clear that He did not come here to condemn us. I know that the enemy is my accuser and he is the one continually whispering lies to me to assume the worst to imprison myself and others. It time to change that habit and be convinced of the truth. Aristotle said: "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." But I like better what Paul said in 2 Corinthians 10:5: We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

I love the verb tense; present active participle... as in, it's happening right here, right now, as I think and breath. It's not something I have to pray for, or wait on, or hope it happens. No, with Christ in me I posses the ability to take every thought captive.

That's powerful!

That's being transformed and renewed in my mind!

That's walking in victory!

And besides, we all know what ASSuming does!!

Lord Jesus, how You make all things new is such a beautiful mystery! Your blood speaks loud and declares truths greater than my heart can comprehend. How unworthy I am to be called innocent. Thank you for your grace, Lord. Thank you for the freedom to think on things that are true, lovely, and excellent. Forgive me for believing lies and not believing You. Help me to know and walk in the kind of love that always protects, trusts and hopes. This is the way you have for me Father.


No comments:

Leelou Blogs
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture