Saturday, February 13, 2010

I Get To...

The other night as we put the girls to bed, I asked them who wanted to pray. My oldest responded with an idea that one of her friends had shared with her. She said "On the count of 3, let's all put our thumbs up and the last one up has to pray."

I was unsure how to make this the teaching moment I saw. I responded, you mean "gets to pray?" I didn't really know how to explain for her to understand that talking directly to our Creator was a privilege not an obligation. (and lets be honest - I was ready for the kids to go to bed!)

----------------------------

Last month for my birthday my sweet hubby scored huge and gave me gift card to JoAnne Fabrics (aka, my happy place). So, for a couple of weekends now I have been longing to get working on what I got from JoAnne's. This morning I had great intentions of spending all day on my project, but when I got up the house was a wreck. While I began cleaning the kitchen, stove and all other pick-ups that needed to be done, I found myself really grumbling in my mind. Thinking things like "Why doesn't Mike....., and when is Lucy going to remember to....., and I can't wait till Stinky Pete can finally.....

At some point I felt myself getting angry for having to take care of my family.

As I was vacuuming I asked the Lord to change my heart and instantly He reminded me of bed time just a few nights ago. I don't have to clean up after them. I don't have to cook for them. I don't have to care that we live in a somewhat functionally clean space. The reality is I get to.

On Wednesday's I watch a baby for a sweet girlfriend who is unable to be a full time, stay-at-home mom. It is so stressful for her and her hubby. She would love nothing more than to be with her new little one all day long. This is something I get to do. And I am thankful.
Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; its not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful. 1 Corinthians 13:4-5
In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.' Acts 20:35

Lord Jesus, forgive me for my selfishness. Please keep ever before me that I get to take care of these precious lives you have entrusted to me. Your Kingdom is so opposite to my nature and Your kind of love is costly. It's worth the price! Thank you also for fun projects to work on. You truly give good gifts.

No comments:

Leelou Blogs
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture