Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Giver

I was recently talking to a buddy of mine describing two people.   I described one as a "giver" and the other as a "taker".  I was quickly caught by my own words.  How would I describe myself? Given only those choices, reluctantly I have to say I'm a taker.  Total bummer! Definitely not how I want to see myself, let alone anyone else to see me.  I have really been wrestling with that.

Then this week, we were blessed yet again by a family that I truly believe would give the shirts off their backs.  I was so humbled and challenged.  I want to be a giver!  I want to be the kind of person who has to hold on to nothing because I know that God has got it all under control!

And then came my 2nd verse to memorize this month.  2 Corinthians 9:8 says this: And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. (NIV emphasis added)

In all things, at all times, having all you need not just to survive, but to abound.  That is the person who is a giver. That is the person who is not holding on to any thing.  That is a person who is utterly convinced that God's got it covered. 

The funniest thing about this verse is how familiar I am with it.  I have used it many times over the years as a thank you of sorts for people that have given to me and my family. Almost like calling blessing and favor into their life for their generosity!   But what makes it so funny to me is never once have I thought of praying this over myself so that I might become the giver instead of the receiver!  HA!  I am amazed at His patience! 

Thank you Jesus that you truly give us in all things, at all times, all we need to abound in every good work.  Change my heart to be completely convinced by You.  I really want to be an abounding giver - just like You.

No comments:

Leelou Blogs
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture