Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Busted

In the last few weeks it seems as if my girls have taken "I'm going to aggravate my sister" pills in high dosage. The nit picking and provoking, the pesky tone of voice and little peeves have just been in abundance. And it's all little things. They are not calling each other names, they are not out and out fighting, they are not on a scale of 0-10 in Obnoxiousville, they are just not enjoying each other. Consequently, no one else is enjoying them not enjoying each other either!

Friday night after a particularly prickly exchange between them, Mike and I decided some intervention was necessary. We came up with the plan to make them hold hands for an hour and a half. Great idea! I wish I could say I came up with it on my own, but I saw a similar idea on Pintrest. And so the discipline began. Here is the first few minutes of joy.


Hahahaha I must confess, I might have enjoyed this a bit too much. We gave them a few chores to do and it wasn't long before there were giggles galore and the irritability was gone. It was a great exercise and reminder of how we want to live life. After the time had lapsed and they were granted their freedom back, we talked about love from 1 Corinthians.

The NIV passage reads this way: 
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

I was focusing on the it is not easily angered, keeps no record of wrongs part and that's when the conviction fell. I was busted.  The very thing I was trying to instruct in my girls I felt the Lord say in my spirit; You too!

I have an area in my life, probably as close as a sister, where my heart is prickly. I get irritated quickly in this place and have been holding a running list in the back of my mind of offenses. Instead of looking to trust and hope I have been easily angered. And now I have been pegged on it! Oh goodness, Lord, if you make me hold hands for an hour and a half.....please no! I don't think you'll be as amused at my selfishness and immaturity as I was with my girls! HA!

My girls really do love each other and most of the time get along wonderfully. I am one blessed mom. And in this prickly area of mine, when all layers are pulled back, love is there too. Reminds me of Psalm 133:1 - Behold, how good and pleasant it is when brothers dwell in unity! How true is that?! What parent doesn't want their children to get along and love each other well? God the Father included.

As I patiently(ahem) explained yet once again the acceptable sisterly behavior, grace for them rushed in me as the speech became less for them and more for me. And isn't that also just like God the Father too? How patient is he and how blessed am I! However, I'm still asking for the no holding hands discipline. Grin.

Precious Jesus, how great is your love that covers a multitude of sins! May I be a catalyst of your extravagant grace I receive. Thank you for your patience as your teach me yet again of your amazing love and what it is to love well. And please don't make me hold hands, please don't make me hold hands, pleeease don't make me hold hands! hahaha You are easy to love Lord, you are good and you do good! Thank you! 




No comments:

Leelou Blogs
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture