Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Adventure

I was the first to wake up this morning. A late night usually guarantees I'll be able to have a few quiet minutes in the morning. My favorite!

I started looking for something I had posted a long time ago on my blog and ended up reading several things I had forgotten about that made me feel like I was once so much stronger than I am now.  So I decided I would take full advantage of the quietness in the house and study some. I am currently working through an old book that I have previously done. It's a workbook/journal style book and it has been so interesting to read my thoughts from 6,7 years ago. My answer to some of the gut check questions this morning were exactly the same as they were last time I went through this. All of this reflecting reminded me of the simple fun I had yesterday.

Last night I hung out with a friend and we took our kids to the park. It was a relatively new park with great big, tall swings. They were the kind adults can swing on and get some good height. Well, if you don't know, I absolutely LOVE to swing. Such a simple joy in life to go back and forth and feel the rush of the air in your face and the fun of the plummet and rise over and over again. Pumping my arms and legs hard for the innocent delight. My girlfriend and I both jumped on one and giggled like 5 year olds racing to see who could swing higher and faster. What fun.

Pondering my walk with Jesus this morning in some ways felt like that swing. Times I've worked hard processing through the junk to get way up high. Spaces I've laughed with Jesus and felt sheer joy.  Moments I've heard him speak and felt him as close and real as the air sweeping my hair on my face.

But as great as all that is, when it's over, all I did was go back and forth. Repeating the same motion again and again. It sure is fun and I do love it but it made me think of something else He has been speaking to my heart lately.

He is a God of big adventure. Check these out:
However it is written, what no eye has seen, what no ear has heard, and what no human mind has conceived, the things God has prepared for those who love him. 1 Corinthians 2:9 
Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work in us... Ephesians 3:20  
For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless. Psalms 84:11 
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels or demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:38-39
Now as much as I love a good swing, I really love a good roller coaster. In fact my hubby calls me an adrenaline junkie. He's right. The bigger, the badder, the more Gs, inversions, twists, drops, and tricks the better. And I'm not picky either. Steel or wooden, daylight or blacked out, slow climb or sling shot start, inverted or regular, short or long, new or old, I love 'em all! (Side note here, I saw this yesterday and I can't believe I live so close!! I MUST go ride it!)

My God is a big God! He will not withhold good things from me when I walk with him. He will do more than I can imagine! He has prepared good things for me beyond my scope of compression. And he wants to take me on a ride that will soar heights, plummet depths, twist by angels and demons, roar through life past death, and shake through powers. All while I am safely strapped in his arms screaming and laughing and loving every thrill.

It's been great swinging back and forth gaining an appetite for a thrill and leaning to to trust that He is faithful and will not let me fall, but I'm ready for some big adventure. My seat belt's locked and the safety bar's been checked. The "all clear"has been given and I'm ready to go.

The wind blows where is wishes, and you hear it's sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit. John 3:8



No comments:

Leelou Blogs
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture