Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Financial Peace

Mike and I have the privilege of attending Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University. We are in week 2. I am so thankful and excited for this opportunity. The video that we watched this week was so great. There were MANY nuggets of wisdom given. I think one of the things that spoke most to me was about kids. He shared a story about his children not being to happy because of the high expectation he had on them. He explained that "your parents have worked hard and done well, and one day when we die, you will be blessed with a lot of money and if you don't have the character or know how to handle it, it will be a curse to you."

I hold high expectations for my kids and this was so empowering to me to continue to champion them, serve them, equip them and empower them to live up to their potential.

Something that I have been thinking about a lot lately is that in the garden, before the fall, Adam and Eve were given a job to do. And after the fall the "work" was not what was cursed. Of all the things my mom gave me growing up, one of them is an amazing work ethic. It was expected of me to work and work hard! And rightly so. I have gotten side tracked by society's mantra that I have some weird sense of entitlement just because I'm alive and that "I deserve it" and that is a lie.

One of our responsibilities in this class is to read assigned chapters of Dave's book throughout the next weeks. In chapter four he shares a riddle of sorts that I too want to share.

I am your constant companion,
I am your greatest helper or your heaviest burden.

I will push you onward or drag you down to failure.
I am at your command.
Half the tasks that you do might just as well
turn over to me and I will do them quickly and correctly.

I am easily managed,
you must merely be firm with me.

Show me exactly how you want something done;
after a few lessons I will do it automatically.
I am the servant of all great people and
alas of all failures as well.
Those who are great I have made great,
those who are failures I have made failures.

I am not a machine, but I work with all the precision
of a machine, plus the intelligence of a person.
Now you may run me for profit or
you may run me for ruin.
It makes no difference to me.
Take me, train me, be firm with me,
and I will lay the world at your feet.
Be easy with me and I will destroy you.

Who am I? I am called a Habit.
Author unknown


Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Galatians 6:9


No comments:

Leelou Blogs
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture