Saturday, March 14, 2009

Whatever you eat, whatever you drink...

A couple of nights ago I read a book called Skinny B***h.  It was very foul, over the top, vulgar, in your face, direct and completely accurate.  It seemed as though the writers were very concerned about cruelty to animals as that was a large portion of the book.  While I don't condone animal cruelty, I do believe that we are to rule and reign them as Adam was given his job in the Garden.  My point being, it's not a big personal deal that we kill animals for food. Again, I don't think we need to be cruel about it, but I do think we were given dominion over them. 

The author's opinions were very clear.  And I have to say, for me,  highly motivating! While I certainly don't under normal circumstances want to read/hear that kind of talk, it really was a timly word for me.  I HAVE to start taking control over what I put in my mouth.  It is so easy to use 1000 excuses of why my body is in the shape that it is.  The truth of the matter is that I am responsible!  I know what I should and shouldn't eat.  I know that I need to exercise. And if there are things that I don't know...I have access to the whole world at my fingertips to figure it out! The point is, I am responsible.  Isn't there a verse somewhere that says 'to him who knowth to good and doeth it not....'

So here is the deal; in my opinion there is no need to get legalistic about it.  Paul says that all things are permissible, just not all beneficial. Do we have to live by the Levitical law or become a vegetarian or vegan?  No.  Is it better for our health? Yes, I'm quite sure.  Again, permissible, just not beneficial.    

And perspective is really important too.  We are by nature rebellious creatures.  So we better know that the minute we say "I am never going to eat_____ again", it's a pretty good guarantee that it will soon be on top of the lust list.  Instead, we can choose to say, "I can have _____ but I am choosing _____ instead for my health and my temple".

So, as I read this book I was really convicted about the things that I allow into my mouth.  Not condemned out of guilt and shame, but really I felt sternly corrected.  I know the truth.  And I know that I need to honor God in my body.  I know that this is His temple.  I know that I am responsible to care properly for it.  Again, not condemned, corrected.  That's the beauty of His grace.  He shows us "Look, here's a problem.  Let's work on that together!  You look to Me and I'll show what to do".  

I love that!

So, my final thoughts on the book were these:  So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31 (NIV)

And I love the way The Message says it: So eat your meals heartily, not worrying about what others say about you—you're eating to God's glory, after all, not to please them. As a matter of fact, do everything that way, heartily and freely to God's glory. At the same time, don't be callous in your exercise of freedom, thoughtlessly stepping on the toes of those who aren't as free as you are. I try my best to be considerate of everyone's feelings in all these matters; I hope you will be, too.



All for His glory!



PS, this is not just for what goes into my mouth, but also my mind.


No comments:

Leelou Blogs
Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Apture